Labels

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Couponing 101

Couponing can be very confusing, stressful, embarrassing  or overwhelming if you don't know how it works. I've gathered some information and answering some questions to ease these emotions and hopefully encourage more of you to jump on the bandwagon and save money!


1. How do you organize your coupons/ what is your set up?

I follow a lot of what The Krazy Coupon Lady has to offer regarding my set up and how I coupon. They have a a beginners section where you can get started in 10 days. If you're anything like me that is waaay too long! I took their advice as just a guide to getting started. I have my 3 inch binder with labeled tabs (I visualized the stores I go to and labeled my coupons according to how the stores are split up), baseball card holders, and envelopes. 




Yes, envelopes, I finally realized that I may not always have my binder super organized so I use the envelopes for the larger coupons and so I don't have paper flying everywhere every time I pick it up. 




2. Keeping track of expired coupons

Unfortunately, I don't really  have any kind of elaborate set up. When I'm searching for a coupon I quickly glance at the other coupon's expiration dates and just pull the expired ones. I also just keep a mental note of when coupons typically expire. I also go through my binder once a month and toss out the expired coupons. When I notice that some coupons may be expiring soon, I move them to the front pocket and look for deals right away, if I don't have any use for them, I toss them when they expire, but NEVER before.

3.. What deals do you go for?

Typically I go for deals that will benefit my family. For example, We are a family of 3 (mom, dad, and baby), so I'd never get anything for pets. Also, I try not to stock up on items that I don't use or need such as hamburger helper. I don't care how cheap it is, I'm not buying it because it will just sit in my pantry forever! Yes, I know I can stock up on items I don't use because it's a good deal and donate them but I now myself and I already have a lot on my plate and those items will NOT make it anywhere past the trunk of my car. I coupon for what my family and I use: shampoo, laundry detergent, toothpaste, diapers,wipes, cereal. 


If I want to get something new that we have never tried before, I ask Preston (not Tanner since he's only one) if it's something he's willing to try. If so, I buy it; if not, I dont bother. That leads me to the next thing: stocking up. I never stock up more than we can handle. For example, right now Albertson's has 3 pounds of strawberries for $3.99- awesome deal- but I know we won't eat more than those 3 pounds before they go bad so as much as I want to get 3 containers, I only bought one, maybe 2 if I want to freeze it. Cereal is another example of stocking up; I never buy more than 3 boxes of cereal at a time. Cereal gets a funky taste if it sits for too long even if it hasn't expired, same goes for frozen foods. I stock up within reason, as you should too because then you're just wasting money by having to throw away expired or bad food.

4. How do I find deals?

Honestly, I mostly use The Krazy Coupon Lady and Keep Calm & Coupon On (this is for Idaho deals so find a local couponer's FB page, blog, or webpage). The great thing about couponing today is that so many are doing it that they get paid to find the deals that's why I use their blogs. Clipping coupons alone is already time consuming so why not let someone else find those good deals for you? I still look at the ads in case something on sale catches my eye but they usually have it spot on so I click on their links and find the coupons in my binder or it will take me to the website where I can print off coupons. That is when I choose deals according to each store I coupon at (currently at Walmart, Dollar Tree, Albertsons, Fred Meyer, sometimes Target, and rarely Walgreens). I don't go to every store every week, it just depends on my work schedule and the deals they're having.  

5.Stacking coupons?

I love going to Target, which is the only place I coupon at that accepts stacking coupons. Sometimes I go to Walgreens but only if they're having a killer deal otherwise, couponing there makes me nervous and irritated because of their point system and register rewards and such, I just don't like couponing there. But Target, on the other hand, I'm willing to go to any day especially with multiple coupons. Make sure you are prepared and have everything ready before you venture out because other wise you'll be frustrated or won't get the deal you were hoping for.

6. What I do when deals don't work out while I'm at the store?

I always go to a store with the expectation of not finding every product I wanted to coupon for. Sometimes other couponers grab all the items that I was going for as well, so I just move onto the next item on the list. I don't stress or worry about it because sales have a cycle and that deal will most likely come up again. 


One thing to keep in mind, is to not be embarrassed or ashamed that you have to use coupons. You are saving your family money and that's what counts. Don't let others discourage you. You will get rude cashiers, bad looks, and angry customers because you're slowing down the lines. Walk in to the store with your head up high, smile on your face, because you're about to get 30 dollars worth of stuff for 6 bucks!!

Feel free to ask any questions!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for writing this Lisa! It is so well written and I really like your responses. I agree with you on not couponing in excess like you see on the shows alot.

    So far, my couponing has been limited to the Safeway Just for U program, which I do usually save at least 30% everytime, my highest ever being 75%. I'll have to brave this coupon thing and truly try it out. Also, thanks for the advice on Target, I've been shopping there a lot but haven't used coupons for anything there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add one store at a time and once you feel comfortable with their policies and the way they work with coupons then add another store but not all store at once.

      Keep in mind that Target does their own printable coupons, manufacture coupons, and their phone app Cartwheel for a percentage off. So you can really stack coupons and deals there!!

      Delete